Monday, December 22, 2014

22 December 2014


familyleDDear Family and Friends,

 Dear Family and Friends,
   Oh, my goodness! but Christmas is getting close. I don't know if the goose is getting fat, but I sure am, all these Christmas treats are getting to me. I keep telling myself not to eat so much, but it is all so good I just can't help myself. Saturday we went to Sister Layton's cookie exchange. This is an annual event for her. As we walked into her dining room two huge tables where full to overflowing with platters of cookies. We took a couple of dozen cookies mom had made and brought back about 4 dozen various cookies. It is always a fun event. Sister Layton's cousin's daughter came, she lives in Pocahontas a town about 30 miles to the west, Sister Layton said, "I haven't seem her in 15 years" I thought to myself, these people need to get out more often. Sister Hansen and I have put on over 9000 miles on our car since we left home the end of September. I replaced the rear brakes last month and now my front brakes are telling me that they need to be replaced. Good thing gas prices are coming down. Thursday when we went to the Christmas Zone Conference in Memphis, Tennessee I bought gas for $205.9 a gallon. When gas started going down I bet Sister Hansen $5 bucks that gas wouldn't get under $2 a gallon. It looks like there is a chance I might lose.
       Another member of the branch here passed away Sunday morning, Brother Shorty Lawrence, there is a good reason he was called Shorty, He was under five feet tall. Since I have known him he has always been on oxygen, he always has his tank with him. He and his wife joined the church about 4 years ago. They have multitudes of problems, but that don't deter them. They are always there and they are always sharing the gospel. They have brought in three other families into the church and their influence continues to grow.
        Mom and I have been asked to speak in Sacrament Meeting this next Sunday, Mom also has the 4th Sunday Relief Society lesson to give. Last year we were asked to speak right after we came and then right before we left. This time it's more like we are long time members of the branch and we just have to take our turn. We have really grown to love this little branch, and the members we get to serve with. We love the young missionaries we get to serve with. It is not easy for them, it can get very discouraging at times, it increases our faith as we watch them stick to it. In three weeks we get to go to the temple with three of the wonderful Sisters we got to serve with last year. The tradition here is that the week before the missionaries leave to go home they get to attend a special session just for them at the temple. The temple that is usually closed on Monday's opens for a special session just for the departing missionaries. We have been invited to attend this time because of our special relationship to these Sisters.
      Our thoughts and are hearts are on all of you especially at this Christmas Season. We have to be careful, not to dwell to much on how much we miss all of you.
Mom here. This seems like year that a lot of members of the church and the Senior BEEs are passing away.  Yes, all of them had been hanging by a thread for a long time.  I am so thankful that we have an understanding about death that it isn't the end.  That there is life after death.
   We have now finished with all the Dec. and June birthdays.  It is the 6 month birthday cookies that tend to confuse people but we have seen some delighted people .  Best of all we get to meet more members of the Branch.  Last night was one of those moments, we have never before been able to actually visit with a Sister that is very much less active.  The birthday cookies surprised her and we were invited into her home.  This was the first time that we have visited with her and her husband.  Funny (not funny haha) how showing a little love and concern will soften hearts.  I was glad that I had participated in a cookie exchange, this time I had a lot of different cookies to share for our last three birthdays.  But Jan. and July will soon be here and it will be back to major cookie making.  I make so many cookies when I get home I really have a hard time wanting to make any cookies at all.  Right now I am doing another double batch of Lemon Bread, it is the all time favorite Christmas treat for special people.  I am giving some to my "mom" and my "aunt and uncle" of course they are members of the Senior BEEs that took us in and really made us feel welcomed.  Everyone else accepted us because they did.  Best of all they found out that we are not weird and we don't talk about the church unless they ask.  They have asked for special prayers, blessings, and help and we do pray for them and bless them when they need a little comfort and help.
     It is strange to have warm temps.  Last year by this time we had had our first ice storm and there was snowed piled up and ice still on the road in places.  We have been told that this winter is suppose to be colder then it was last year but so far we haven't been really cold.  But we have a lot of gray days and only a few days of any sunshine.  This weather is so like the western Oregon weather.  I can not remember ever having a white Christmas, but I sure can remember a lot of rainy Christmases.  I would rather have rain then icy roads and freezing cold temps like we had last year.  Of course it is only the first of winter so I guess we do have a couple of month when it could get cold.   I was thinking that it was darker last night.  Actually it is very dark by 5:00pm every night.  We really don't like going out after dark unless we know where we are going, it is to hard to find someone when we can't read the address on a house.
     We are getting excited for Christmas we have packages under the chair that our tree sits on.  I think that we are more excited to see what is in the boxes then what we got for each other.  We hope that you all have a good Christmas.  That you can have a happy time.  Take a moment and think about the first Christmas and what the Birth of Christ means to the world.  Think about past Christmases and how tradition is such a big part of our lives.    We love you, we pray for you and want you to be happy this season.  Make sure to help each other out.  Wish we could be there to help Annie, Kurtis and family to move but someone else will have to that in our place.
                                                       Love to all
                                                Dad and Mom              Grammy and Papa

No comments:

Post a Comment