Monday, January 20, 2014

1/20/14


Dear Family and Friends,                                                                   January 20, 2014

 

            Since it is Marty’s Birthday today, the seniors center is closed today. So we get to sleep in. As if that would every happen. I woke up at 4:30 am, read the Book of Esther. I started the Old Testament after Christmas, so I am averaging 26 pages a day. I ought to be done with the Old Testament by Valentines Day. Then it is on to the D&C and The Pearl of Great Price. That would make all the standard works in a 5 month period. Never done that before. However, I do have a greater appreciation for the Lord’s dealing with His children here on the earth.

            Yesterday after church, there were three baptisms in the branch. Melonie Goodwin, a woman about 42, she found the sisters and was taught the lessons. She had to wait to get 1st Presidency approval, because she is on parole. After her final interview she was so excited about being able to be baptized, that she was jumping up and down. She has a long time friend that did not like her learning about the church, so he gave her an ultimatum, either me or the church. She told him without hesitation, the church. The other two baptisms were a father and son. Dad about 40, the son twelve years old. Really nice people. Good understanding of the church. There were at the baptism about 5 non members. One of which was Judy Dunn who we are working with towards baptism, she has set the day of March 9th (her mothers birthday) as her baptismal day.

            The branch here really goes out of their way to make converts feel welcome and important. The branch president leads the way in making that happen. He has been the branch president here for over 6 years, he is only an Elder, but he really cares for his branch. Next Sunday we drive to Lonoke, Arkansas where they are going to create another new Stake in Arkansas. First time in 30 years that that has happened. Long drive, but neat to be here while history is being made. I’m afraid we might lose some branch leaders in the creation of the new stake.

            We just keep plodding along, we continue to meet new people and make new friends. This past week the sisters have been without a car, so we had to drive them around a lot to their appointments, They are a couple of dizzy young ladies, but one just has to love their crazy ways. They are so intent and focused on missionary work.

            Yesterday at church we were assigned to give a lesson on gaining a knowledge about God and sharing that knowledge with others. As I prepared, I thought of this statement to make at the being of the class. “I know all there is to know about _______.”

I gave the class time to think about what they considered themselves to have a great knowledge about. (No takers) I then shared with them my knowledge about siphons, I do know a lot about siphons. I know what they look like, what they are made of, what sizes they come in, I know now to gather them, I know how to bundle them, I know how to scatter them, most importantly I know how to set them, I know how to adjust them for different flow, I know how to set the appropriate amount to handle the flow of water into the ditch. I don’t know everything about siphons, but I do know a great deal. It was my father that taught me about siphons and how to set them, I in turn taught my children about siphons and how to set them. I then bought the discussion back to the knowledge we have about God. Who he really is, what he is like, how we can learn about him and how we can share that knowledge with others. It ended up being a very fun exercise  and learning experience for the class.

            This Mom now:  The class that Dad was talking about was Priesthood.  Since we had investigators at church I taught the Sunday School class and he took the investigators to Gospel Principles then I had Judy in Relief Society and Dad had Lloyd in Priesthood.  It was a very long day for Judy especially since they stayed for the baptisms.   Judy wanted to see what was going to happen to her.  We will go and see them today and see how she is doing.  Judy and Lloyd are in poor health and so we try not to over do things.  But they did get married and she set her own baptism date long before she was asked to be baptized formally.

     We are enjoying the sunshine and somewhat warmer temps.except for the winds.  If we didn’t have a wind it would be very comfortable.  I would rather have winds then socked in fog all the time.  When we have sunshine it tends to be cooler then when it rains.  The rain here is heavy and can cause floods in no time.  It is deceptive in our apartment because the sun shines in and warms up the apartment then we go out side and it is cold.

     I have prayed that hearts would be pricked so that less actives would feel a desire to come back.  We have some that have said that they will come back but it is hard to come back after not being in church for awhile.  We only have a little over a 2 months here and that will go by very quickly.  We continue to visit all that we can catch at home or will let us come and visit.  We really try to be a friend and support them as best we can.  There is one lady who informed me yesterday that she was going home with us.   No, no and no.  She has problems and is slow so, she and her husband have already wrung the branch dry and now it is the missionaries that are slowly but surely being wrung dry.  It is only Dad and I that can actually do anything but if we do to much then they think that we will bail them out of their millions of problems.  Sometimes we walk a very thin line to help the members help themselves without enabling them more then what we should.  It is so easy to get caught up in lots of drama.

     The branch President has called certain members to take over from where we left off.  Almost everyone that we can get in to visit we have done so.  But I am really hoping that they can keep the ones that have come back and keep them active.  Who knows we may be sent back here and maybe not so the branch members will have to step up to the mark.

     For the last week we had the Sisters.  We take them to their appointments and sometimes we are invited in especially if they want some moral support.  Usually tho’ we drop them off and do our own things then go and pick them up.  On Tues after District Meeting they will have a car again but then it will be the Elders with out a car.  They are usually not as dependant as the Sisters are.  The Sisters had exchanges with the Training Sisters last week.  The Sister Trainer decided that they would ride their bikes.  Sister Cooke got major lost and the trainer did not realized that Paragould sits right on top of Crowley’s Ridge  with little narrow roads that go up and then down.  The Trainers thought that the Sisters were far to dependant on us, after that experience nothing more was said.

     I have started to pack up things that we really do not need to take back home in the car and sending it home.  One of the Senior couples that were in Blythville did that and I thought what a good idea.  We were so jammed pack coming here that whatever we can do to be a little less jammed packed would be good.

     Well my dears we must close     Love Dad and Mom, Papa and Grammy, Elder and Sister Hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment